Purchasing or building your first home is an equally exciting and overwhelming time. On the one hand, you’ve finally got a place to personalise and make your own – hooray! But, on the other hand, it can be tricky to know where to start, particularly when it comes to furnishing a new home.
Luckily for you, we’ve put together this handy first home buyer guide to help you choose the best blinds and curtains for your new home.
Best blinds for new homes
As a first home buyer, you might be wondering ‘do I even need blinds and curtains?’ To which we say, yep! With the right blinds and curtains installed in your home, you can enjoy privacy, control the levels of light, regulate the indoor temperature, and even reduce your energy bills.
There are always new products popping up on the market, however there are generally six popular choices when it comes to choosing curtains or choosing blinds for a new home. These include:
- Roller blinds: A classic blind that features a roll of fabric that can be rolled completely up or down to increase light and privacy. These blinds are economical, easy to operate and clean, plus come in a variety of colours.
- Vertical blinds: If you’ve ever rented in your life, chances are you’ll be familiar with these bad boys! As the name suggests, these blinds consist of vertical fabric or PVC panels that can be angled to provide privacy and adjust lighting. Vertical blinds are the ideal choice for sliding doors and windows, as they can be opened and closed for easy access, plus, they’re very affordable.
- Venetian blinds: These low-maintenance blinds are made of horizontal slats, usually wood or plastic, and suspended by cords. This allows every slat to be rotated together to give you control over light and privacy levels.
- Roman blinds: Similar to roller blinds, Romans also consist of a sheet of fabric that can be raised or lowered. When the blinds are down, they lie flat against the window, but when raised they gather into stylish pleats, offering a slightly more sophisticated look compared to rollers.
- Curtains: A far cry from the curtains hanging in your granny’s home, modern curtains can be a lightweight yet cosy alternative to a blind. Choose from popular fabrics such as sheer or blockout, depending on the room.
- Plantation shutters: These stylish window coverings can be purchased in your choice of aluminium or timber. They are characterised by wide louvres (slats), which can be opened to increase light or closed to insulate the home.
Which blinds are the cheapest?
Blinds are a long-term investment, so it’s always worth investing in a quality product from a trusted manufacturer (like Half Price Blinds online!).
That being said, with different products you’re going to be looking at different prices. Rollers, Venetians and vertical blinds are three of the most affordable styles, with prices starting from as low as $60.
Best light filtering blinds?
If your new home needs more natural light, the best light filtering blinds include any fabric blind made with a translucent fabric. You can buy popular styles like roller blinds, Roman blinds and vertical blinds in this fabric, which will allow soft light in while protecting your privacy.
Best blockout or blackout blinds?
The best blockout or blackout blinds are styles that have the fewest areas for light to enter, like rollers or Romans. As these blinds consist of a single roll of fabric, this decreases the potential for light to creep in. Plus, both of these styles can be customised with blockout fabric, which is a thicker fabric that will block out nearly all light (as the name suggests).
We recommend installing blackout blinds in rooms like the bedroom or nursery to ensure a better night’s sleep!
Which blinds are best for wet rooms?
Looking for kitchen or bathroom blinds? The best styles for these rooms are ones that are both water-resistant and easy to clean! Wooden blinds and shutters will absorb moisture and quickly buckle, so it’s wise to choose a material like aluminium or PVC for any room that’s exposed to moisture. We recommend aluminium Venetians or aluminium shutters.
If we haven’t answered any of your questions about choosing blinds or choosing curtains above, you might find it in our FAQs. Or, you can get in touch via Facebook or by calling my Australian customer support team on 1300 699 041 and they'll beat any competing in-store or online blinds quote you may have by a huge 10 percent!
You can find all of our shutters, awnings, curtains and blinds online for the lowest prices, guaranteed. Plus, we deliver Australia-wide from Perth to the east coast and offer free shipping on nearly all orders over $199.