There’s only so many times you can give someone a bottle of wine or a candle for Christmas. So, this festive season consider giving some homemade gifts. Not only do they make thoughtful (and affordable) presents, but they can be a great way to unwind during this (sometimes) stressful time of year.
Easy Christmas Recipes
When it comes to homemade gifts, you can’t go past something edible. After all, who doesn’t love a sweet treat? Impress everyone from your colleagues to your mother-in-law with this zesty shortbread that’s filled with festive fruit and nuts!
Keep reading below for one of our favourite Christmas food ideas.
Festive Fruit and Nut Shortbread
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dried cherries, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup raisins, chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped
- Place butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together using an electric handmixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the zest and juice of one lemon and vanilla extract to the bowl, then mix well. Add the flour and mix to combine.
- Mix in dried cherries, raisins, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, and cashews.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each section of dough into a log measuring about 20cm long and 3-4cm in diameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm (approximately 2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line three baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Cut logs into 1cm thick slices, place them evenly on the trays and then bake for around 10 minutes or until golden.
Once the shortbreads have cooled completely, divide up and place into clean glass jars or containers. The cookies themselves look pretty special already, but you can make them even more appealing with customised packaging.
Something as simple as a festive ribbon, customised name tag or a handwritten recipe card to accompany the gift will make all the difference.
Why handmade gifts are best
A gift for the person who has everything
Whether it’s your best friend or your brother-in-law, we all have at least one ‘hard to shop for’ person in our lives. You know, the one who seems to have everything under the sun. When you go for a homemade gift, you have the opportunity to create a gift that you can be 100% sure they don’t have.
Easier on your wallet
Most of the time, giving handmade is less expensive than purchasing a gift. Even if you use quality ingredients or premium craft supplies, you’re still going to save money compared to if you were buying an item brand new.
Stress reliever during the busy holiday period
Struggle to find time to get creative throughout the year? Now’s the perfect time! By DIY-ing Christmas gifts for your loved ones, you can also enjoy the meditative powers of a crafternoon.
If you’re keen to extend your DIY skills beyond the kitchen, why not get in touch! You can reach us via Facebook or by calling my Australian customer support team on 1300 699 041, and they'll beat any competing in-store or online blinds quote you may have by a huge 10 percent!
You can find all of our shutters, awnings, curtains and blinds online for the lowest prices, guaranteed. Plus, we deliver Australia-wide from Perth to the east coast and offer free shipping on nearly all orders over $199.
Credit: Recipe via Prevention RD