Image Credit: @konmari.co
Life’s messy, there’s no doubt about that! But a well-organised home can be the first step towards an organised life. To help you clear up your clutter and make the best use of the space you have, it’s time to channel your inner Marie Kondo!
As you probably already know, this organisation guru is a household name thanks to her celebrated KonMari Method, which is used to transform even the most chaotic of homes. Keep reading for some of Marie-inspired tips and tricks.
What is the KonMari Method™️?
Before we dive in, let’s define the KonMari Method. This trademarked method, otherwise known as the Marie Kondo method, is Marie’s minimalism-inspired approach to tackling your stuff category-by-category rather than room-by-room.
The six basic rules of the method include the following.
Rule 1: Commit yourself to tidying up
Rule 2: Imagine your ideal lifestyle
Rule 3: Finish discarding first
Rule 4: Tidy by category, not by location
Rule 5: Follow the right order
Organising House Hacks
The biggest ‘hack’ or ‘tip’ when it comes to organising your home is to be a future thinker. As you go about your decluttering journey, you need to be thinking about the function of the item or room, and how it can best serve you in years to come.
How to declutter clothes
After committing to the decluttering process, the KonMari Method suggests tackling your clothing first and foremost.
As per Marie’s advice, throw your clothes (yes, all of them) in one pile. Then, go through the pile and ask Marie’s favourite question, “Does it spark joy?”. If it doesn’t, add it to a charity pile.
Once you’ve whittled your pile down to stuff you’ll keep, it’s time to organise! The KonMarie Method suggests a specific folding technique that makes it easier to see every item without having to make it messy all over again.
How to declutter your bedroom
A cluttered sleep environment can cause stress, which is said to be a major cause of insomnia. With that in mind, here are a few ways to create a more calming and restful room.
- Strip back: Do you really need five decorative pillows on your bed? What about seven types of scented candles by your bedside? Probably not. Consider donating or repurposing these items elsewhere in the home.
- Add pelmets: Not only will a pelmet block out excess light (improving your chances of good night’s rest), they also help to reduce excess visual clutter. Pelmets or headboxes are specifically designed to conceal operational elements of your blinds or curtains, giving them a sleek appearance.
- Keep chairs out: An armchair can make a striking statement… that is, if it’s not covered in clothes! Rather than leaving yourself a surface to dump clothing onto, move any armchairs or stools to another room.
Want to focus on your entire home? Here are a few tips that will hopefully inspire you to be more like Marie!
- Take before and after pics: Boost your motivation by snapping a photo of a smaller area before you declutter it. Afterwards, you’ll be amazed by what you achieved and (hopefully) be ready to move on to another room.
- Start slow: Build momentum by allocating a small five or ten minutes each day to decluttering. Once you get started, you’re more likely to maintain motivation to keep going.
- Phone a friend: Have a loved one help you out with the decluttering process. Not only will it help the time fly by, but it’s also a great way to get a second opinion on whether you really need that fifth pair of blue jeans.
- Pretend you’re a visitor: Walk through your home with a visitor's eye to get a new perspective on your home’s exterior and interior. Then, write down everything you want to change.
Got a question about our range of DIY blinds, curtains or shutters? You might find the answers in our FAQs. You can also reach us via Facebook or by calling my Australian customer support team on 1300 699 041, and they'll beat any competing in-store or online blinds quote you may have by a huge 10 percent!
You can find all of our shutters, awnings, sheer curtains and blinds online for the lowest prices, guaranteed. Plus, we deliver Australia-wide from Perth to the east coast and offer free shipping on metro orders over $449. For all other orders, shipping is $27.